The Apartment Renter’s Guide
About The Essential Guide for Smart Renters, RDNY.com’s Exclusive Guidebook to renting in the NYC Area
New to New York? Not a real estate professional? Don’t have a relative in the business?
The Essential Guide for Smart Renters was created in order to help demystify the New York City rental market. Having been in the business for over 35 years, we know how diffiicult it is to find an affordable apartment when the vacancy rate hovers at less than 2%.
The information in this comprehensive guide is based on years of real estate industry experience and long-standing personal relationships with landlords. The Essential Guide for Smart Renters has been an invaluable tool in assisting tens of thousands of prospective renters to successfully find a home without having to pay a broker's fee.
Our guide includes discussions of the following questions:
- How do I know what I can afford?
- What are typical low-end rents in Manhattan?
- How do people with modest means get apartments?
- What is a guarantor? What does it take to be a guarantor?
- I don’t have anyone who will co-sign for me or be a guarantor; what do I do?
- I’m ready to start looking now; what’s the first step?
- What’s a landlord package?
- I’m not sure about my credit; how do I get a credit report?
- Can I bring my dog?
- When will I know if the apartment I’ve applied for is mine?
You will also get a handy, ready-to-print “landlord package” checklist along with sample letters you will need to provide to landlords, including:
- Employer's letter
- Accountant's letter
- Current landlord's reference letter
- Personal reference letter
And don't forget! You absolutely need the ready-to-print Application Form and Guarantor Application Form.